Saturday, May 30, 2009

Full Page Article in Journal de Montreal!

Also in the Ottawa Sun! and SLAM! Wrestling

Boo-Yah!
So, I was minding my own business at the YoungCuts office when the phone rang.
Hey.

Hey.

This is Kevin.
And I am thinking to myself, why is Steen calling me? And when did his voice get that deep when it occurs to me - That's not Kevin Steen - That's Kevin NASH!
Hey Kevin. Thanks for calling.

So, people are getting a little excited about this match. You need me to talk to anyone?

Tim Baines with the Ottawa Sun would like to do an interview. It would get posted on SLAM! Wrestling, the biggest Wrestling web-site in Canada. And I can get you and Carl on to the local university radio station and they will podcast the interview right away.

Set it up.
*****

Just to remind people, the hoopla over that match was as a result of one of my When We Were Marks articles originally published on the-w here and reprinted (and slightly corrected) here.

*****

The result of that interview with Tim Baines was published in a full page article in the Ottawa Sun and SLAM! Wrestling today. (Full article quoted below.)

Then much to my joy and surprise, the article was translated and republished in the Journal de Montreal. A full page article in the Journal de Montreal is huge! The tabloid is the biggest source for sports news in Montreal, the bible of hockey-obsessed Montrealers.


CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE

*****

Radio Interviews with Kevin Nash and PCO

In addition to the interview with Tim Baines, I was able to set up an interview on Concordia University's CJLO radio station. The good news is that they did a long in-depth interview with both PCO and Kevin Nash. The bas news (for me) is that the wrestling marks doing the interview monopolizedd Kevin's time and another interview that I had set up on Team 990 with MitchMelnick never happened.

The audio of these interviews are available via The Main Event's official website (www.maineventradio.com) or can be downloaded directly for the PCO interview and for the Kevin Nash interview

*****

Jamie O'Meara's Babylon PQ xolumn in free weekly Hour Magazine

Twenty bucks to the first guy who lands a flying suplex on Paterson

Montreal's International Wrestling Syndicate are hella proud to present Ten F'N Years, celebrating a decade of knocking heads pro-wrestling style. The throw-down, which features former WWE champs Pierre Carl Ouellet and Kevin Nash in the main event, will also be hosted by local actor, comic and all-around funny buddy Mike Paterson (if you've seen a Jigaloo lube commercial, then you've seen Paterson in all his glory).

"Me, Kevin Nash, Pierre Carl Ouellet, my brother Nic, PCP Crazy Manny and the Green Phantom are all getting into the wrestling ring to celebrate the IWS's tenth year in the business," enthuses Paterson. "It's going to be crazy! I will be wrestling 19 other dudes in a battle royal. My bro is the president of the company and has assured me that I will win." If you didn't, it wouldn't be pro wrestling. The whole thing gets thumpin' May 30 at the Medley, starting at 8:30 p.m.

*****

Wrestling Observer Chimes In

The Wrestling Observer called the IWS Fantastic!
Well, technically, they called our press release Fantastic! But if you don’t think that I am going to use that as an out-of-context pull quote, you don’t know me that well – or at all.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/9390/105/
-- From their fantastic press release: The International Wrestling Syndicate celebrates its Tenth Anniversary on May 30th at the Medley with the biggest grudge match to hit Quebec since the Rougeaus fought the Garvins in the old Montreal Forum: Kevin Nash vs. Pierre-Carl Ouellet. The History: In September 1995, PCO (as Jean-Pierre Lafitte) was scheduled to face Kevin Nash (as WWF Champion Diesel) in Montreal. PCO refused to job in his home-town. Kevin Nash was a monumental ass-hole about it. PCO lost his push and eventually his position in the WWF. What You Need To Know: For the first time in 14 years, PCO will be in the same ring as Kevin Nash, the man who cost him his dream job and literally millions of dollars in lost revenue. PCO will be able to punch Kevin Nash in the face as hard as he wants and not go to jail for it.
Actually, technically that is what Bryan Alvarez had to say about us on Friday. On Sunday, Dave Meltzer was not quite so enthusiastic, but hey two mentions in the Observer off one press release. I’ll take that for a dollar!

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/9408/
--International Wrestling Syndicate on 5/30 at the Medley in Montreal is billing the Kevin Nash vs. Pierre-Carl Ouellet match the biggest grudge match in Montreal since the Rougeaus vs. Garvins. The Rougeaus vs. Garvins was an awesome angle. Anyway, this is stemming from a 1995 house show where Jean Pierre Lafitte (Ouellet's wrestling name at the time) refused to do a job for Diesel in Montreal in a WWF title match. That was a bad political move as he push was dropped and he was gone from the company soon after.
*****

There will be a Bloodstream during our Tenth Anniversary show. Excerpts from it are up on You-Tube now and are listed below.

And now excerpts from Bloodstream:

Kevin Nash:
YouTube - Kevin Nash at IWS 10th Anniversary Show in Montreal on May 30th

PCO:
YouTube - IWS PCO - What happened with Kevin Nash in Montreal?

General Hupe for the show:
YouTube - IWS X - Tenth Anniversary Show

The Untouchables:
YouTube - IWS X - Untouchables

Heavy Maxx Fury:
YouTube - IWS X - "Heavy" Maxx Fury

The Green Phantom:
YouTube - IWS X - Green Phantom

PCP Crazy F'N Manny:
YouTube - IWS X - PCP Crazy F'n Manny

*****

Full text of the Tim Baine article
War of the words, Nash and Ouellet
Montreal showdown ...
Nash: 'If (Ouellet) wants to go, I'll be happy to fight'
By TIM BAINES, SUN MEDIA
Sort through the wrestlespeak and carney-like promotion and you still get the feeling there'll be fireworks tonight in Montreal when Kevin Nash and Carl Ouellet stand in the same ring.

It's a grudge match headlining an International Wrestling Syndicate card (at the Medley, 1170 St-Denis, starting at 9 p.m.), but with so much more than the usual bluster and hot air when the good guy and bad guy jaw back and forth. This is real.

The two don't much like each other, dating back 14 years to a 1995 Montreal house show when Ouellet (then Jean-Pierre Lafitte) refused to job for Nash (who was known as Diesel). Ouellet claims Nash ruined his WWE (WWF at the time) career.

"I never got along good with Kevin or The Kliq," he says. "(When I told them I wouldn't lose) Kevin says to me, 'You don't want to lose against me tonight, do you?'

"I said, 'I'm not losing against you or anybody tonight.' If it's going to be a job, I'm packing my bags and going home."

The match finish was changed. And over the years, the animosity has simmered.

Nash says if Ouellet wants a fight, it's on.

"I don't know if they think they're bringing the lamb to slaughter," says Nash. "My hair may have grey in it, but I can put some dye in it and look 35.

"If (Ouellet) wants to go, I'll be happy to fight. I've been a bouncer in some pretty rough places. I'm not flying up to Montreal walking with my hands down.

"I grew up in the south side of Detroit. When I was eight, my dad died. So I've been taking care of myself since I was a kid. And I'm a bit of a hothead on top of that."

Nash says he hasn't talked to Ouellet.

"I gave (the IWS) a price that was 25% above what I normally charge and it's not cheap to fly somebody first-class from Orlando to Montreal," says Nash. "They said 'Yes, let's do it.' I guess somebody's got an axe to grind."

So what happened over the course of two nights -- in Montreal and Quebec City -- so long ago?

"I was the WWF champion, he was told to do something, something to further the prestige of my Diesel character. He refused to do it," says Nash. "The next night (in Quebec City), he did a leg drop (off the top rope) and his entire rear end landed on the side of my head. I figured it was on, so I field-goal-kicked him between the legs."

Several stiff shots ensued and the two were later separated backstage.

NOT COMING TO LOSE

"I'm not coming up to Montreal to lose," says Nash, who's happy to be in TNA.

"I came very close to going (back to WWE) last October," he says. "I consider Vince a friend. The first time he looked at me, he saw something other than Oz or Vinnie Vegas. I sat down with (TNA boss) Dixie Carter and she said there was no way she could match WWE financially, but she could offer a better standard of life.

"From my garage to Universal Studios (where TNA TV shows and many pay-per-views originate from) is 64 miles. I can drive to almost every event and be home at night, in my own bed.

"I've got a son, Tristen, in the seventh grade. He's 6-foot-5 and turns 13 in June. It's more important for me to be Kevin Nash the father than Kevin Nash the wrestler."

Nash, who turns 50 in July, says he's feeling good.

"It's amazing, I feel better at 50 than I did at 40," he says. "Most of my career, I was at 330 lbs. I'm at 297 now.

"Samoa Joe and I nearly beat each other to death with kendo sticks. I raised my hands with the Kliq sign and people cheered. How do you give that up? Admiration is the drug that makes us want to continue."

TIM.BAINES@SUNMEDIA.CA

*****

IWS Xth Anniversary
Card Quick and Dirty

Saturday, May 30th
The Medley, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Grudge Match: Kevin Nash vs. Pierre-Carl Ouellet

IWS Title Match: Champion Beef Wellington vs. former champions Viking, Sexxxy Eddy and Franky the Mobster

IWS Canadian Title: Canadian Champion Shayne Hwke vs. Twiggy

IWS Tag Team Title: Champions The Untouchables (Dan Paysan and James Stone) vs. 2.0 (Jagged and Shane Matthews)
If 2.0 lose they can longer be a team in the IWS.

IWS TEN Commandments Death Match: The Green Phantom vs. PCP Crazy F’N Manny
Manny and Phantom will use TEN different hardcore weapons on each other, one for each oif the IWS' TEN years.

MMA Match: EXesS vs. Heavy Maxx Fury

IWS Veteran Battle Royale: Twenty man over the top Battle Royal with wrestlers from the ten years of the IWS.

*****

The IWS is justly famous for our Medley shows and justly famous for making wrestling history with our guest stars: Sid Vicious’ first active wrestling match after shattering his leg in WCW (during our Fifth Anniversary show.); Sabu’s last match in the indies before debuting on RAW in Un F’N Sanctioned 2006. This year we give you one of the biggest grudge matches in Quebec wrestling history, a match that many people thought would never ever happen.

This is the show you can’t miss. Come celebrate ten years of IWS insanity!

The IWS proudly presents: X, Our Tenth Anniversary Show. Special guest is Big Sexy Kevin Nash! X takes place Saturday, May 30th, at the beautiful, downtown Medley, 1170 St-Denis, near the Berri-UQAM Metro. Montreal, Quebec, CANADA. Doors open at 7:30 PM, show starts at 9 PM. VIP tickets are $35, Regular tickets are $25. VIP ticket holders admitted first. No reserved seating. Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.ticketpro.ca or in person at the Medley box office. This is an all ages show. Card and times subject to change. For more information go to www.iwswrestling.com or write to Llakor@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment